Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Needlework Unlimited


Rejoice!  Needlework Unlimited is back in the yarn shop hop this year! Karen, the owner of this amazing shop has a great story to tell.  Well let her tell it...


"My earliest knitting memory is sitting at the kitchen table in the farmhouse I grew up in, as a precocious five year old. My mother would cast on and start a row and then hand the needles off to me. The rows seemed very long, but they were probably only forty stitches or so. When I got to the end, I needed help to turn the knitting around and begin the next row.  Every row I worked on probably gave my mom another few minutes of peace to work on dinner or some baking. 

My knitting was sporadic then, and every hole became an armhole so one of my dolls could wear that creation. When I was 16, I contracted 'mono' (you can insert a joke here, but I was truly 16 and never been kissed). While recovering, my mom let me choose a knitting project from a current Seventeen Make It magazine. I chose the bright yellow wool halter top with a watermelon design on the front (it was the 70's, after all). I remember putting it on once for about 3 minutes as the wool was extremely itchy. I was proud that I finished, even though it was not comfortable to wear.

Many years have passed since then, but my love of knitting and working with fibers has only grown. 

As a new grandmother, I now have the intense joy of making treasures for our family's new love, Matthew. Sharing my joy and love of knitting with our customers at Needlework Unlimited has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. 

Thanks to you all!"  

Thank you Karen for an amazing fiber shop!

1 comment:

  1. This is the greatest shop! Incredibly helpful!
    The staff has sooo much patience, especially for new knitters! And such personal attention!

    ReplyDelete